Proud partners in the western Massachusetts emergency food network
The Food Bank is proud to partner with 176 member meal sites and food pantries to provide healthy, emergency food to more than 89,000 food insecure individuals every month. Our members operate in all four counties of western Massachusetts at faith-based and non-profit organizations, including residential and shelter programs.
We serve as a clearinghouse, or wholesaler, for our members and take a holistic approach to supporting their operations and encouraging long-term growth and sustainability.
“We have such a support system behind us with The Food Bank. We’re never alone.” —Rebecca Roman, Revival Time Evangelistic Food Pantry
Our Partnership with Members Provides:
Healthy food to members
- Convenient, online food-ordering portal for members that includes choice offerings for dietary needs and client preference
- Member pick-up hours at our warehouse and food order assistance
- Door-to-door delivery to larger members lacking transport vehicles
- Partnership with Big Y to offer the Depot Drop, a weekly regional distribution for members located in Berkshire County
Education and guidance for best operating practices
- ServSafe food safety workshops for members volunteers and staff
- Trainings and inspections, following USDA requirements, to help ensure that members understand and follow health and safety guidelines
- Annual Member Conference that includes workshops and discussions where members share best practices and operating tips.
- Year-round member workshops for members to build skills in grant writing, volunteer management, and how to food optimize their food operations
- Advocacy trainings so that members can educate the community and communicate with legislators about hunger and food insecurity
- Weekly member agency newsletter complete with important updates, budget-friendly recipes to share with clients, and more.
- Public education with members on statewide hunger-relief
- Regular check-ins with member staff and volunteers
- Public-facing member locations and services app available to anyone who needs free, emergency food
Capacity Building and sustainability support:
- Capacity Grants to members (by application) for equipment purchases (like new freezers and shelving) and repair and upgrade
- Grant writing workshops to apply for operating support
- Regular visits to member sites to help identify needs and plan for sustainability