What’s the Healthy Incentives Program?
Extra SNAP money for local fruits and vegetables: $40 – 80 every month!
HIP is an innovative program in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that rewards SNAP (formerly known as food stamps) recipients with extra benefits when they use SNAP to purchase fruits, vegetables, and food-producing plants at farmers markets, farmstands, CSAs, and mobile markets. Look for the HIP sign for participating vendors.
Administered by the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA), HIP is the first program of its kind established in the U.S.
HIP matches SNAP benefits dollar-for-dollar at participating venues. By using HIP, SNAP recipients can earn back up to:
- $40 monthly (for 1 – 2 people)
- $60 monthly (for 3 -5 people)
- $80 monthly (for 6+ people)
Benefits of HIP
For SNAP recipients, HIP:
- increases access to fresh, local produce and helps stretch SNAP dollars without extra paperwork
- rewards SNAP recipients for buying local produce at designated locations
- allows SNAP recipients to grow their own fruits and vegetables, if they choose, by purchasing food-producing plants and seeds.
For the state economy, HIP:
- has provided local farmers who are HIP vendors with more than $9 million in revenue, increasing the amount of state income tax collected from these vendors
- increases access to nutritious foods for SNAP recipients which may mean lower health care costs for state-run health programs
- broadens the customer base for many small, local farms struggling to increase revenue, thus improving the local economy
HIP Frequently Asked Questions (translated)
HIP Vendors by County
SNAP Brochures (translated)
How is HIP working for you?
If you’re a SNAP recipient who uses HIP, please let us know how the program is doing by taking a brief survey. Your answers will help us advocate for improvements to HIP with state lawmakers and the Department of Transitional Assistance.
For more information about the Healthy Incentives Program, please contact The Food Bank’s SNAP department at (413) 247-9738.
Food Bank After Hours
Join us for a fun night of volunteering and networking with young professionals, where social hour meets social responsibility.