TITLE: DIRECTOR OF FOOD OPERATIONS STATUS: FULL TIME, EXEMPT
The Director of Food Operations is responsible for the effective operation and continuous improvement of the Food Operations Division, which consists of the Warehouse, Food Distribution and Facilities Departments. The position is responsible for upholding best-practice standards for agency order fulfillment, inventory control and proper storage practices, and food sourcing activities. The position is also responsible for oversight of building and equipment maintenance, pest control, safety programs as well as disaster response and business continuity planning.
- • Participates with executive leadership team in organizational development and strategic planning activities. Ensure that established objectives are met or exceeded
- • Responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and results of divisional annual work plans
- • Directs all planning of food sourcing, warehouse, distribution and facilities functions, including long-term departmental goal setting, operational analysis and evaluation
- • Directs the budgeting process for the division, including budget development, management and regular monitoring
- • Oversees materials and equipment procurement for food distribution, warehouse and facilities functions
- • Directly supervises the Warehouse and Facilities Managers, and the food sourcer. Direct hiring and staff development. Ensure continued development, implementation, adherence to, and continuous improvement of standard operating policies and procedures
- • Ensures organizational compliance with OSHA standards, USDA, MEFAP and Feeding America contracts, and local Board of Health, food industry and other relevant licensing, certifying and permitting bodies
Food Sourcing, Distribution, and Warehouse:
- • Oversees transportation logistics and scheduling of pick-ups, transportation and delivery, food handling and storage
- • Leads staff meetings, and cross-departmental and project meetings as necessary
- • Oversees inventory management systems. Oversee inventory processes for accuracy. Promptly notify the Executive Director of any significant discrepancies. Implement additional inventory measures as necessary
- • Works closely with the Director of Programs to ensure alignment of Food Operations Division goals and objectives with those of the Programs Division, particularly Agency Relations, Brown Bag and Nutrition Education
- • Oversees coordination of organizational food sourcing goals and objectives with the Director of Development and Marketing. Oversee effective management of food sourcing activities, including proactive and regular cultivation and food sourcing of current and prospective donors.
- • Responsible as lead liaison to the Food Operations Committee of the Board of Directors. Responsible for regular reporting of Food Operations Division metrics and outcomes to the Board of Directors
Facilities, Safety, and Security:
- • Oversees building use, space planning and design, to ensure optimal efficiency of all Food Bank buildings and off-site operations
- • Oversees monitoring and analysis of overall facility and operations energy use, and maintenance of building and operations at peak efficiency
- • Directs the development and maintenance of organizational security and safety programs and organizational business continuity and disaster response plans
- • Five to seven years of experience in warehouse and distribution management
- • Demonstrated industry experience in shipping and receiving, logistics and inventory control systems and monitoring, preferably in the food industry
- • Strong analytical, data interpretation, planning and innovative problem-solving skills
- • Ability to develop and effectively manage the execution of new programs and initiatives
- • Budgeting and purchasing experience
- • Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, ability to work with diverse staff and constituencies
- • Strong computer proficiency, including inventory control systems, database management and Microsoft Office applications
- • Valid drivers license with clean driving record
- • Must pass pre-employment drug and alcohol testing and background check
- • Bachelors degree with emphasis on organizational management preferred
- • Food sourcing and/or purchasing experience
- • Facilities management experience
Additional Experience (Experience A Plus):
- • Bilingual in English/Spanish
- • Non-profit experience
- • Forklift Certification
REPORT TO: Executive Director
The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer encouraging excellence through diversity. Please mail resume and letter of interest to: The Food Bank, PO Box 160, Hatfield, MA 01038 or email at email@example.com and please include DOFO-2014 in the subject line. Search will continue until position is filled.
THE FOOD BANK IS A FRAGRANCE FREE WORKPLACE. WE ASK THAT ALL CANDIDATES INVITED TO INTERVIEWS REFRAIN FROM WEARING STRONG FRAGRANCES OR PERFUMES.
In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, marital or familial status. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call 202/720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.